Something to Read Online
Elsewhere on the Web
- The Station of the Twelfth on Tor.com
- The Fold in the Heart, in The Dark magazine
- Another Chart of the Silences
- In Skander, For A Boy, in Beneath Ceaseless Skies
- The Astrakhan, the Homburg and the Red Red Coal in Lightspeed Magazine
- Water Proof (with Shannon Page)
- Touching Silver, an early story for children
- Quinquereme of Nineveh, published in Nature, 28.01.2010
- Terminal, audio podcast read by the author
- White Tea for the Tillerman, in Chaz'z LiveJournal / on Dreamwidth
- Absent Friends, a hyperfiction commissioned by Cornwell Internet for Durham Literature Festival 2004.
- Read The Keys to D'Espérance in Infinity Plus.
- Read the opening section of a crime story set in contemporary Taiwan, Nothing Broken at Blithe House Quarterly
On this site
- From Alice to Everywhere, with love - a short-short SF story
- The House of Mechanical Pain (nominated for the 2008 HWA Bram Stoker Award)
- Every day a little death, or The clockmaker's apprentice, written after a course on Terry Pratchett: it is not a pastiche, but contains one familiar figure and one genuine Pratchett joke.
- Father to the Bride is the second of a series of short stories written "in the style of" the subject of a course. In this case the theme of the course was Bram Stoker's Dracula, and the challenge was to write a story in the style of the original.
- The first in this series, The Begging Bowl, is a ghost story in the style of M. R. James. It was written in response to a course on M. R. James and the Victorian Ghost Story
These stories are published exclusively on this website, with the author's permission.
The Books of Outremer
- Marron - an except from Tower of the King's Daughter
- Julianne - an except from Tower of the King's Daughter
- Feast of the King's Shadow
- Hand of the King's Evil
- Ja Beebi Tantsis - in Estonian.